August 25, 2011

Stars

It was too late when I stepped outside with Rowan to look at the stars. She really likes to do that, and her interest is the only thing that compels me really because I never really have been very good at picking out the constellations and now with my old man eyes it’s even more difficult.

“Can you find the big dipper, Daddy?”
“I don’t know, Rowan…”
“Sure you can! It’s right over there – see it?” It’s easy to see once Rowan points it out to me. She’s also persistent about getting me to lie down in the road with her to look at the sky, and it turns out she’s right – it’s truly incredible the millions and millions of little stars you can make out despite the all the light pollution. Rowan comments that it must have been so much better 500 years ago AND even better back in the age of the dinosaurs.

And then we’re talking about dinosaurs, and she says isn’t it interesting how we really don’t know what color dinosaurs’ skin was, and that it could have been purple and pink or red and white striped or polka-dotted! And that’s really great because I never thought of that.

Rowan also taught Berit and I the initial moves of the dance she’s doing in mixed choir at school, which I didn’t want to do either but was all kinds of fun. Kids are great that way.

Berit had her three favorite classes today – Pre-engineering, Spanish, and Science (I think). Math is not one of her favorite classes and she commented exasperated about her block schedule and how she had to listen to her teacher talk for an hour and a half – “About MATH!”

After the struggle with getting Griffin to pick a book and read last night, we landed on Half Magic. I’ll let you know how that saga continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment