September 3, 2003

I surprised Berit by showing up at her school today. She sat with some other 1st grade girls at the back of the cafeteria. I thought that she looked quiet and alone - not her usually social self. We spent a while chit-chatting about school and about the HUGE monkey-bars blister on her hand before the bell rang. I casually commented that we wouldn't be able to play on the playground before she had to go back to class, and Berit broke down in tears. I felt terrible. She was sad because I was leaving, and I consoled her, promising that I would go to class with her for a short while.

As it turned out, we had a few minutes to hang out on the playground together before we went back to her class. Once there, I was asked by Ms. Cohen to read a book to the class, which I did. Berit seemed all in good spirits again when I finally left.

No comments:

Post a Comment